Thursday, September 5, 2019

HOW I BECAME A TEACHER

“When to the sessions of sweet silent thought
I summon up remembrance of things past”-Shakespeare
I should say that I became a teacher by sheer accident! I joined the famous Pachaiyappa's College, Chetput in 1948 in the Intermediate class called FA in those days. Looking at the teachers who came to teach us, I developed a liking for their way of teaching. Their coming to the class with some books in hand, their movements up and down the platform, their gestures, occasional jokes and their wide variety of knowledge attracted me. English prose, poetry, and Shakespeare classes were interesting. I remember the then principal of the college R. Krishna murthy, the tall turbaned gentleman with a frightening look who granted me admission to the college. I recollect professor T. I. Johnson who used to handle our Shakespeare and Krupananda Reddy who taught other English subjects. Their lectures were impressive and I felt how fine it would be if I too became a teacher addressing a large class of about a hundred students in the gallery. It was only a passing thought. I passed my Intermediate examination in first class and won a gold medal. It was my ambition to become a doctor and I had the necessary qualifications too. But the political situation in the state and the communal GO denied me the seat! My friend, who got low marks was given the seat since he was not a Brahmin! Man proposes but God disposes! I was disappointed but not discouraged!

I turned my attention to other venues and noticed an advertisement calling for recruits in the IAF at the Ground Training School, Tambaram. I was eligible and applied immediately. One fine morning I was called for a written test. With great interest I took the test and scored good marks as a result of which I was called for an interview by the authorities. I did well in the interview and was selected for placement. I was asked to check up my eyes and get a no objection certificate from my parents. I was overjo toyed at the turn of events and went home imagining my future in the skies!  Both my elder brothers were employed in Madras(Chennai) and I was the darling child of my mother! She was happy at what I told her and I thought that she would jump with joy at the prospect of my getting a job so early in life. Quite unexpectedly she refused to give me the no objection certificate when I informed her that I may be placed in any part of India. All my dreams of becoming a pilot or some officer in IAF evaporated in thin air! Banking on these possibilities, I didn’t apply for any other course in colleges. College admissions were being filled and it was difficult for anyone to secure a seat. Frustrated and disappointed, I applied to the renowned Presidency College, Madras for a seat in B.Sc. Hons Chemistry course, my favorite subject and waited with bated breath.

A few days went by with my anxious anticipation when I received the admission card for the course of my choice at Presidency College. I was called for an interview with all my original testimonials, by the Principal of the college. It was then the strange and sudden turning point came into my life! I went into the Principal’s chamber with trepidation. He stared at me with a queer look. Examined my mark sheet and certificate. Then lifted up his head, looked intently at me and said, “ Young Man! You have been allotted a seat in B.Sc Hons Chemistry course. I am sorry that I cannot give you admission into that course as the only available seat has been given to some other candidate. Will you choose some other course? I do not want to disappoint you after promising a seat.” I was shell shocked. What a turn of events! Two disappointments already and now the third! Providence is scheming against me I thought. The principal spoke again. “ Look here, Young man! I see you have got very good marks in English. Why not you choose the English (Hons)course? It is a very good course and later you can be a college lecturer and professor! Think and tell me soon.” My heart sank. For a moment I was confused! I had no other alternative since all college admissions were over and if I missed this chance, I would have to wait for another year. I decided to accept the offer of the principal and got myself admitted into the BA (Hons) English Literature course!

However much we try to fulfill our ambitions, there is a destiny that drives us to the goal that we deserve! That is exactly what has happened to me! After 38 years of teaching students, I do not regret the decision that I had taken at the Principal's room of Presidency College. I graduated in 1953 and had the great fortune of getting my Degree from the philosopher Statesman Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan our former president!  I remember my teachers in the Presidency College, Sri R.S. Desican, B. R. Baliga, A.E. Subramanyam and Sri Ayappan Pillai who later became the principal of the College. I have pleasant remembrances of my college life and I recollect the function at the Fyson Park in the College when our former Prime Minister Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru visited Madras. Three years of the course ran fast and by 1953 I qualified myself for the post of a lecturer in a college!
Results of our Course we’re published in May, 1953 and I applied for lecturer's post to many colleges  including the Loyola College, Madras. Many offers came for tutor's post but I preferred the post of lecturer. Finally, in June, I received an offer from Islamiah College, Vaniyambadi in North Arcot district and after an interview with the principal of the college joined as a lecturer on June 21, 1953. Life in Vaniyambadi went off smoothly and I acclimatized myself to the climate and situation there. My wedding took place in October of the same year and I settled myself near the college in my own house. I had a very successful profession for all the 38 years I served the institution. I had the love of my students and colleagues in the college and loved teaching my students. The delight for the teacher is to see his students shine in life and I am extremely happy to see some of my students occupy important positions in life. One of my students is a renowned Chartered Account of All India fame, another a doctor, another was an MLA and one more a MP. I am delighted to see them serving society and glad that I have contributed something to their becoming great. I am now retired after a long and continuous service for 38 years at the same college! Recently I was invited by the college Management to receive my pension papers. I was overwhelmed by the love and affection shown by my old students in Vaniyambadi who surrounded me and enquired about my welfare! The Real Teacher leads his student from Darkness into Light, from untruth to Truth and from mortality to Immortality! I think that I have succeeded in doing so!!

No comments:

Post a Comment