Wednesday, May 5, 2021

JAYADEVA'S SEVENTH ASHTAPADI--KRISHNA'S AGONY

 Unable to experience the pangs of separation from His paramour Radha,  Krishna, bitten by the sharp arrows of Mamatha, feels extremely sorry. He reaches the bank of the Yamuna and settling Himself in a bush cottage reflects on His pathetic state!

“ Radha grew angry and went away as I was playing with the Gopikas! I wanted to prevent her but I was afraid of her reaction on seeing me since I was at fault! She left me without any feeling of compassion. What is the use of thinking now?  What is it that I can do now?”

 “Radha has suffered enough the pangs of separation from me. What is the means to free herself from this suffering? What can She say? What is the use of this wealth, mansion and life without Radha? Why this janma or birth? All these are worthless!”

“I am deeply thinking of Radha!  The eyebrows of Radha, who grew angry with me, are bent very beautifully!  Her face looks agitated like the red lotus over which the bees are buzzing by!”

“. Why should I search for Radha in this dark dense forest? Why should I feel sorrow? Is not my darling Radha in my heart for ever? Let me make her supremely happy!”

“O my Lady! I presume that you are furious with me because of the mistakes that I have committed! If it is not so where did you go? I don’t understand. My pranams to you! I prevail upon you, tell me all about it!”

“O Radha!  It is as if you are in front of me! I wonder why you do not embrace me quickly as you used to do!”

“ O My Beauty! Have I done any mistake? If so, please pardon me! I will never do such a mistake once again! Please be present before me! My pangs of separation from you is simply unbearable”

“ This Ashtapadi is composed by the great bhaktha Jayadeva who belongs to the lineage of Bindubilva!” 

In His lovelorn and languid situation, Krishna takes exception to the activities of the love God Manmatha! Krishna exclaims, “O Manmatha! You have mistaken me for Siva!  I am not Siva but you are aiming arrows at me!  My identification marks are not those of Siva! It is the garland of lotus flowers that lies on my chest! It is not the snake on Siva’s neck! The black mark on my neck is not the mark of poison! It is because of the bunch of black Lily flowers! It is sandalwood powder that I have smeared all over my body! It is not the sacred Ash of Siva! You are acting against me in vain like a madcap!”





No comments:

Post a Comment