Thursday, June 24, 2021

13th ASHTAPADI---JAYADEVA

Jayadeva in these Ashtapadis glorifies the Divine Love between Radha and Madhava. He describes the pangs of separation between the two. Radha’s maid describes the ways in which Krishna is whiling away His time in the company other Gopikas! Radha is awaiting Krishna at the rendezvous which is a bush cottage! She is looking in a!! directions expecting Krishna but in vain! She is terribly disappointed and feels that there is no point in living without Krishna beside her! After making the maid speak about the suffering of Radha, Jayadeva, now makes Radha herself describe her helplessness, her erotic feelings and how badly she needs the company of her Divine Lover! The Ashtapadi is the unpacking of Radha’s immortal love for her paramour Krishna!

“ Oh! What can I do? Krishna has not turned up to Brindavan according to the time I indicated! Of what use is this youth and beauty without the company of Krishna? I have been deceived by the words of my maids! Who is there to protect me now?”

“I am tired and disgusted by searching for Madhava in the dense forest throughout the night!  Is not my Madhava responsible for the hightened feelings of love? My heart is hurt by the arrows of Manmatha!”

“How on earth will it be possible for me to endure the pangs of separation at this rendevouz without Krishna?  In stead of remaining unconscious, I think it is better for me to die!”

“ These nights of the Vasantha season are troubling me too much! Some lovelorn and lustful girl is enjoying conjugal bliss with Krishna! What can Radha the unfortunate do in this situation?”

“ The fire of pangs of separation from Krishna is burning my heart! Even so, what is the purpose of wearing these beautiful ornaments?”

“ The flower garland on my chest is piercing my heart like the cruel arrow of Manmatha! My delicate body is very much hurt because of that!”

“I am at this bush cottage beside this “ Prabbali” tree though it heightens my pangs of separation! That Krishna is not at all thinking about me!” 

“Why is it that handsome Krisha is not arriving at the rendevouz of the bush cottage? Can this be the reason? Has he followed a girl? Has He been prevented by friends who are experts in arts and revels? Otherwise, is he moving about the dark forest? Or has he missed the direction because of disturbed mind?”

Let this sweet and melodious Song of Jayadeva decked with beautiful words and picturesque, resemble  a young damsel endowed with 64 arts occupy the hearts of Devotees!!









No comments:

Post a Comment