Monday, September 8, 2014

My Tryst with Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba

My first visit to Puttaparthi, the abode of our Living God, Sri Sathya Sai Baba was in 1953 soon after my marriage. It was a long and arduous journey and we went in a bullock cart along the dry and barren looking Chitravathi river. Not many buildings were there and we had to stay under the trees and the sheds that were coming up. What a tremendous  transformation to Parthi since then! The sight of Swami in his orange robe would electrify the devotees and send a thrill all over their bodies! Swami would come for the bhajan and many had the rare privelege of padanamaskar.
    In Vaniyambadi, where I was appointed in the college, we performed bhajans at home every Thursday. We still continue the bhajans in Chennai where I have settled after my retirement. Not many attend the bhajans but we carry on irrespective of the attendance. Sri Rajaram, my colleague, was drawn to the bhajans slowly and participated in the bhajans. His mellufluous singing of bhajans delighted us extremely. We celebrated Sri Sai Laksharchana with grand bhajans both in the morning and evening sessions. Sai devotees from Chennai and nearby places would participate in the bhajans. This was a golden period in my life at Vaniyambadi suffused with devotion and spirituality.
    By Swami's grace I could compose a few stothras in Sanskrit on various deities, bhajans and Telugu poetry. It was Swami's sankalpa that I wanted to compose a few stanzas on Swami's life, leelas or divine sports, and philosophy. I took up a few incidents in Swami's life and composed fifty stanzas. It was my cherished desire and ambition to recite a few of them in the presence of Bhagawan during the 50th Birthday celebrations at Parthi. What a greedy desire! That night, after I finished the work and went to bed, Swam
i came in my vision and I offered him the manuscript of the stanzas I composed! Swami accepted them and vanished! I was overwhelmed with emotion at the Love and compassion of Swami in receiving my humble offering. It was November and preparations were afoot for the grand celebrations of Swami's Birthday. I and my friend Rajaram reached Parthi. I was in high spirits and prepared myself to recite a few stanzas in the presence of Swami. I met Sri Joga Rao and a few others for permission to recite. But they bluntly said that it is Swami alone who should permit me and no one else. I felt snubbed, dejected and unhappy. Can such an opportunity come to an ordinary mortal like me? Am I not over ambitious?
    We went and sat in the poornachandra auditorium. It was jam packed and we could get the fifth or sixth row. Devotees were expectantly awaiting Swami's arrival. Swami's students and staff of school, college, and University assembled and sat in rows. Swami appeared at length walking in his majetic, light and nimble strides glancing and smiling at his devotees. My expectations ran high. Will He come near me? Will He receive my compositions in reality? There was a trepidation in my heart. My blood pressure increased! I wanted to offer my work "Kusumanjali" the offering of flowers (of my composition) to Swami personally. Swami came nearer. I was about to offer him the manuscript when he suddenly stopped, turned back and moved away! My heart sank in despair and disappointment! I felt I was not worth the Love compassion and Grace of Swami and that is why he came so near and turned away!
     Meanwhile there was some commotion in the rows and I saw Swami coming nearer and nearer to my row. He came closer to me and leaning across I offered my "Kusumanjali" to his soft hands. Looking at me for a second, he quickly received it and went back! Oh! What a sight it was! My vision and dream became a reality! Is not Swami the "Antaryami" of all? Does he not know what his devotees feel in their hearts? My heart was full of Ananda or Bliss at what has happened. I had my tryst with Swami, the personification of Love and Compassion! I felt very humble and fortunate at the causeless Love of Swami.
Recently, during my Bheema ratha santhi celebrations Swami blessed me with a beautiful black "Lingam" which materialized from the Pradhana kalasam. I have also sent a hundred printed copies of "Kusumanjali" to Sri Sathya Sai Sadhana Book Trust for distribution to Telugu knowing devotees.

No comments:

Post a Comment